Sunday, May 27, 2012

Life As An Introvert: Talking To The Strangers


So I never know that talking to the strangers could be this fun. I always have a barrier to others who I barely don't know from school, office, or relatives. Quite sad. So I decide to talk to the strangers. I have been browsing lately that one of the easiest ways to improve my shyness, networking ability, and invigorate my social life (yes, I am introvert, can I remind you?) is to develop my skill talking to the strangers.

I am trained since I was a kid to fear strangers (which is very good for safety reasons) but most people carry this fear into adulthood (yes, I am) where it does more harm than good. I get stuck in a box, only open to creating new relationships through people I already know. This may works but somehow I feel that it limits me to meeting people who are generally like me.

And now I face the fact I gotta move abroad to Singapore for good. I will be in a new area and I don't have many friends there, the fear of talking to strangers is absolutely crippling. So, I learn to talk to the strangers. Fortunately, once I get started, the excitement it brings encourages me to keep going to talk. Though I am an introvert, I believe that most people are friendly and perfectly open to conversing with you. I just need my courage to talk. I also believe that each person is an incredible learning opportunity. How they talk about themselves, how they treat you, how they think about you, how they give objective opinions, how they live the days, and how they interact with the world.

There is a lot that I can learn from someone stranger.

So, I talked to this person. It feels so hard at first, I was so careful talking with this stranger. It make me nervous and awkward, but the more I do it the smoother I get it. I am naturally reserved person, I probably don't know what to say. All I can do is giving comment on something, telling them what I think, and stay positive and most likely they will be happy to chat with you.

I never take everything personally, if they make a joke or decent joke pops into my head, I just say it and it is fun.

I never knew that as a shy person, I can talk to the stranger like this.

Well, at least I try to improve my social skill :)

Wish me luck.



Picture is taken from here.